I came as a shadow
I Came as a Shadow is a memoir by John Thompson, the former head coach of the Georgetown University men's basketball team. The book covers Thompson's life and career, and presents several key takeaways, including the following:
- Thompson was a successful and influential coach who led the Georgetown University men's basketball team to great success, including three Final Four appearances and one national championship.
- Thompson was known for his tough and demanding coaching style, and for his commitment to developing his players both on and off the court. He believed in the importance of education and personal responsibility, and pushed his players to excel in both their athletic and academic pursuits.
- Thompson was a trailblazer in the world of college basketball, and was one of the first African American coaches to achieve great success at a predominantly white institution. He was also an advocate for social justice and equality, and used his platform as a coach to speak out on issues of race and discrimination.
- Despite his success as a coach, Thompson struggled with personal demons and faced challenges in his personal life. He struggled with alcoholism and depression, and had difficult relationships with his family and loved ones.
- Despite these challenges, Thompson was able to overcome his struggles and achieve great success in his career. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, and is remembered as one of the greatest coaches in the history of college basketball.
Overall, the book I Came as a Shadow is a powerful and inspiring memoir that chronicles the life and career of John Thompson, one of the most successful and influential coaches in the history of college basketball. It provides insight into Thompson's leadership and coaching style, as well as the challenges and struggles he faced in his personal life.